What is Automated Vision Inspection?
Inspection is a critical part of any manufacturing and production process. The human eye is capable of detecting a variety of errors in different products and packaging materials.
However, when you are dealing with errors on an industrial level and want to get rid of even the smallest errors, implementing efficient automated vision inspection solutions in your factories or manufacturing plants is a wise choice.
Automated vision inspection ensures quick, accurate, and consistent measurements. It is a highly cost-effective technique to ensure manufactured goods meet the demands of the customers and manufacturing standards.
Generally, a camera and software are the most important parts of an AOI solution to visually inspect and analyze the products.
By implementing a reliable automated vision inspection solution, businesses can make sure that technology is being efficiently utilized to meet the quality assurance standard and enhance overall productivity and customer satisfaction.
Benefits of Automated Vision Inspection
Following are some of the major advantages of automated vision inspection:
- Companies can automate their quality control systems by developing a reliable AOI system that produces consistent results.
- Industries are able to ensure maximum quality based on any particular parameters.
- Data can be collected when a product passes through the AOI machine. The purpose of this data is to improve quality monitoring and use the information to improve production management processes.
- AOI solutions play an important part in optimizing the throughput as managers will have more data to sort out production issues. Moreover, operators can be trained to solve issues that improve the quality of the production process.
- Manual efforts are considerably reduced due to which companies are able to save a significant amount of money.
- Companies that have AOI solutions are generally able to fulfil customers’ requirements and make sure the best quality assurance processes are being used throughout the manufacturing processes.
Applications of Automated Vision Inspection
Most of the modern automated vision inspection solutions are able to perform multiple types of inspections like appearance, character, and positioning.
Such kind of efficiency is not possible in the manual inspection. As a result, modern automated vision inspection solutions have numerous applications in the manufacturing and inspection processes.
Some of the common applications of AOI solutions are:
- Check closures for colours, dimensions, and seals.
- Verify code formation, presence, and position of components like barcodes.
- Validate the positioning of labels.
- Ensure consistent product shape, size, and levels.
- Inspect bottles, tubes, boxes, and different types of empty containers to make sure their size and shape are consistent as per the requirements.
Automated Vision Inspection in Packaging
The packaging is also an important part of the manufacturing process. In recent years, automated vision systems have become an essential part of production lines to inspect the quality of the finished products in real-time.
Manufacturers must ensure things like labels and patterns are consistently printed on the products to ensure maximum customer satisfaction and industry standards compliance.
When you are dealing with large production lines, it is easy to make mistakes, especially with manual or average inspection systems.
It is important to have an efficiently designed automated vision inspection system implemented in the company to get the desired results.
How to Develop a Suitable Automated Vision Inspection Solution?
The requirements of the automated vision inspection solution can greatly vary from company to company.
Generally, such solutions are meant to streamline the manufacturing process of your company by inspecting products against a variety of quality measures.
Choosing a suitable AOI solution can become quite easy if you follow these steps:
- Develop the quality criteria that you want to apply to the inspection process. For instance, if you are dealing with PCB boards, you will set technical criteria like the dimensions and positioning of the wires.
- Select the range of products that you want to inspect and determine different variations in it.
- Choose an appropriate type of hardware system that will be able to meet your requirements.
- Before making any final decision, you should check the system on a trial basis to ensure it is capable of delivering reliable and consistent results.
- Collect and analyze the data from inspection systems to improve the process and AOI solution.
The Bottom Line
It is quite evident that automated vision inspection is a highly useful, efficient, and reliable process. It has the power of revolutionizing businesses by improving their manufacturing and inspection processes.
It is worth mentioning that automated vision inspection is not limited to any one particular industry.
Instead, it has applications in numerous manufacturing industries that allow all types of companies to reduce their operating and inspection costs, increase productivity, and eliminate errors from their manufacturing processes.
Cortex Robotics Sdn Bhd.
72-2-6, Arena Curve, Jalan Mahsuri,
11950 Bayan Lepas, Penang, Malaysia.
T: +604 – 611 0110