Choose The Best Machine Vision System That Fits Your Business Needs
Automated optical inspection (AOI) is used by many industries and companies to inspect several products of varying sizes, types, and shapes. In fact, AOI solutions have evolved dramatically in the past few years. The latest machines are capable of offering more functionalities, user-friendly interface, and better availability. The reason for this rapid rise in the popularity of the machine visions is the fact that AOI solutions are quickly replacing the human vision for quick and more reliable inspection processes needed in mass production of various products.
Choosing the automated optical inspection (AOI) best machine vision system for your business can be challenging because you have to consider a lot of factors while implementing an efficient AOI solution at your company. Whenever a manufacturer or product inspector faces an issue that can only be solved through vision-based technology, the first to consider is selecting an application-specific AOI solution or a general AOI machine. Making a wrong choice can prove to be detrimental to the success of your business and the inspection process.
Various other factors like the type of problem to be solved, programming techniques required, and the company’s overall budget are also considered while implementing AOI solutions. General-purpose AOI machines can also be programmed into application-specific AOI systems.
To implement an efficient AOI solution, follow these steps:
- Have sufficient knowledge about numerous AOI machines and note the important differences between them. Features such as the number and quality of the cameras, optics, lighting, processing power, and the overall network and software of the machine should be considered.
- Analyze your requirements and optimum conditions of the manufacturing process. For instance, some AOI machines support all kinds of environment lighting conditions, while others are very specific.
- You must be clear about your goals and requirements regarding the installation of the AOI system.
- Compare the compatibility of AOI solutions with other systems and subsystems that you might need at your organization.
- No matter what kind of automated optical inspection system you install, it must inspect all the desired products and components reliably and consistently.
- The AOI machine should be easy-to-use and have a user-friendly interface that makes it easy for the workers to manage the entire system.
- Proper training should be provided to the staff as soon as you have installed the AOI solution.
Which Machine Vision Systems Should You Avoid?
The following are some of the characteristics of AOI machines that can make them ineffective for the inspection process:
- Stops the replacement of production line equipment.
- Have a very restricted interface
- Does not support other systems, subsystems, and equipment
- Prevents the evolution of particular tasks and inspection jobs
- Machines with very complex configuration should be avoided because it will be very difficult to maintain and manage them.
The modern trends in the AOI systems indicate that trend of programmable machine vision is quickly rising. Most of these machines are application-specific, such as inspecting PCBs, globes, or even the traditional OCR readers. While such machines have a clear edge over the general-purpose AOI solutions in terms of speed and efficiency, many experts criticize them because they limit the usage of the AOI system.
Most large organizations and enterprises can afford to implement multiple AOI solutions for different products. However, small and medium organizations should make general-purpose AOI machines their preferred choice so that they can avail of the benefits of automated optical inspection in a limited budget.
Different Types of AOI Solutions
Manufacturers and industrialists should also remember that there are thousands of pre-built AOI solutions available on the market. Most of these machines are enough to fulfil different requirements and inspect a variety of products.
While custom AOI machines will surely cost companies a fortune, they can fulfil all of the requirements. When companies can implement AOI solutions that completely meet their requirements, the entire manufacturing process will be streamlined and become more efficient and reliable.
The Bottom Line
Automated optical inspection machines are sophisticated equipment, and there are a lot of factors involved in making their implementation a success for the company. As a result, selecting an AOI solution that matches your needs may not be an easy task.
Generally, an AOI machine with a user-friendly interface meets most of your requirements, is easy to use, and can be used to inspect a variety of products that will be suitable for your company. For professional consultation on automated optical inspection machines and solutions, please do not hesitate to get in touch with our specialists.
Cortex Robotics Sdn Bhd.
72-2-6, Arena Curve, Jalan Mahsuri,
11950 Bayan Lepas, Penang, Malaysia.
T: +604 – 611 0110